Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Wednesday 9 October 2013

Hooptedoodle #101 - What Are You Doing in My Garden?


[If you're looking for the report of the big battle where the Spanish army got hammered, it's the previous post]

The Summer is definitely coming to a close - cold and windy here, but this afternoon there was a bit of sunshine, and it seemed a good opportunity to give the lawns their last cut of the year. An area of one of the lawns seems to have turned into a mushroom bed. So I thought I should photograph them before I mowed them into oblivion (we don't mess about, me and the Honda...).

I wondered if they were edible - we did have a small crop of morels some months ago (which we didn't eat), but these new chaps look a bit like Jack-o'-Lantern to me, which will give you a definite touch of The Others, so not only will I not eat them, but I'll also wash my hands carefully before I eat anything else.

Not seen these in anything like this quantity before. I don't think it's the Global Warming; like the morels, they are certainly caused by the rotting of the roots of our old Eucalyptus, which was cut down 4 or 5 years ago (or whatever), and the roots must be brewing up nicely.

Attractive though, eh?


1 comment: