Napoleonic & ECW wargaming, with a load of old Hooptedoodle on this & that


Saturday 22 July 2017

More French Command - on a run now...

And here are some more. This is the missing artillery command stand - they can also be in charge of the French Siege Train if and when it gets out of the box. The standing figures are from TM1815's set TM-F0002 - French Staff Officers - which are available online from Hagen; the mounted chap is Hinton Hunt FN224, because I have a couple of spares, because it's a figure for which I have a long-standing affection and to get the Old School brownie points score up a bit.


Pleased with these - I'm still not quite sure what artillery commanders do in a wargame, but they can stand around and look smart, I guess. You will observe that they are based on one of my new-house-standard 50x50 jobs (which, strictly speaking, is the size for a Division Commander) and they have the regulation black border, which is used for artillery, engineering and logistics command stands.

Those French ADCs are fun to paint. I must say I do enjoy painting these odd command figures - they don't numb the brain to the same extent as, say, two dozen identical fusiliers.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think you've surpassed yourself there, Foy. Very nicely done.

    The FN224s are lovely, aren't they. Marcus Hinton's finest, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to put my finger on why, but FN224 is one of my all-time fave wargame figures - others include the Alberken Brunswick-Oels and the little "shouting" officer from Les Higgins' British infantry command pack. I also like the HH Confederate general. Classics.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my eye is drawn towards the officer wearing the mid-blue labels and breeches. Hussars boots? A perfect dandy! Excellent gaggle of officers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh! "Lapels" not "labels!"

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jon - for us dandies, labels are everything.

      It must have been a commonplace for a French general to be upstaged by some dazzling 2nd lieutenant who ran his errands. Still, I guess the general got to pick up the tailoring tab to add insult to injury!

      Delete
  3. A very handsome bunch of figures. The range of attire and colors worn by French ADCs would make for a fascinating book.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a PhD thesis coming on. In fact I'm pretty sure I used to have such a book - I think it was one of Commdnt Bucquoy's efforts - can't find it - it must be on Alfons Canovas' blog though...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - elegance is not a word I usually associate with my soldiers, so this is appreciated!

      Delete
  5. FN 224 a very handy figure as can be used for for other C19th armies right upto Crimean War
    cheers Old John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a period of trying to snap them up whenever they appeared on eBay - whether I needed one or not. A vain man would claim this was astute planning - I reckon I was just lucky this time. Most of the stuff I bought is still in the boxes, waiting to go back on eBay.

      Delete
  6. Artillery command stands are a rare breed - you could make it necessary to have one attached to form a grand battery, that would give them a reason to be on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty fine wheeze, Young Stryker. I like it. The cheque is in the post.

      Delete